Monday, December 23, 2013

Havin' a time, but a piece is missing.

We are having an awesome time down in Jamaica. We are freshly married and are splitting our time between laying on the beach and eating amazing food. We are together in paradise and everything is almost perfect.

This has been a rough year for us.

Several of our family members (including one of my favourite extended family members - a "Wazzzzzzup!" goes out to him) are battling cancer. I really hate cancer. The treatment is as bad as the disease and there are no guarantees. I'm pulling hard for everyone to pull through. I only recently met these people and would love the opportunity to come to know them better.

The worst of it this year was the death of my father. He had a massive stroke in September and died about a week later. His absence still doesn't seem right to me. I still reference my dad as though he was still around.

To go out on a high note (like George Costanza), lots of good things have happened this year. Karen and I got married, of course. Most importantly, my little niece Isobel popped into the world. That little bundle of smiles means the world to us, and that wee bairn has helped my mom cope more than that little girl will ever understand.

My dad would have loved it here. I can almost see a tall shadow sitting at the swim-up bar, rye and coke in hand, goofy smile on his face, chest and back lobster red (the man didn't get the concept of sunscreen). That image makes me smile. Here's to you, Dad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment